What Is an Access Control System?
Access control is a security method, and its meaning is to minimize the potential risks of the enterprise. Access control systems has two functions: restrict resource usage, and view resource usage.
Access control systems can be divided into two types: physical systems and logical systems. The physical system restricts people from entering physical spaces such as buildings or rooms. This area is real. Vanma smart lock management system is a physical system. The logic system restricts people from connecting to the computer network, viewing data or files, etc. It is a restriction at the network level.
What is the main purpose of a physical access control system?
The mechanical key is the most basic physical control method, but it cannot be used as an access control system. It has limitations, the following are the disadvantages of mechanical keys:
- The keys are confused. Every lock of a mechanical lock needs a key. If it is used as classroom management, there will be a long list of keys in the security room, and it will be very troublesome to find the keys in a certain classroom.
- Need to change the lock frequently. If the key is lost, the lock needs to be replaced, otherwise, it is likely to cause irreparable losses. The replacement of the lock requires cost, and also requires the replacement of the key, which makes the management of the key more difficult.
- There is no audit trail. Traditional mechanical keys cannot check who entered a room at what time.
- Difficult to manage. The mechanical key can be copied. If an employee who has resigned takes the previously copied key and steals it, it will be difficult for others to find out. In addition, in some rooms where important items are stored, you need to go through multiple doors before entering, and it will be very inconvenient to use a different key each time.
But the physical access control system will solve all the above problems, which is also the meaning of its existence.
Application of physical access control:
- Commercial real estate: It can enable employees to quickly enter the building, and can also flexibly divide the company’s space
- Multi-store retail: employees can quickly travel to and from multiple stores, only need to carry a key
- Education: help achieve attendance quotas
- Religious institutions: prevent looting, violence, and vandalism
- Medical institutions; integrate shift changes and department visits to ensure that medical records or narcotics are only authorized for individuals
- Government: Strict safety standards can reduce risks
- Sports and entertainment venues: the security team can formulate strategies that do not sacrifice the safety of fans, and have different security requirements for each room
- Datacenter: ensure that only IT personnel can access